Saturday, July 21, 2007

ALLARDYCE SET TO STEP UP SEARCH


Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce is determined to make up to four more signings before the start of the new Barclays Premier League season.

The 52-year-old has endured a frustrating two weeks in the transfer market after the flurry of activity which landed him Mark Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal and Geremi.

His pursuit of the top-class defenders he wants to strengthen his squad appears to have gone cold and he is ready to leave pre-season training in the hands of his staff as he attempts to get his men.

Allardyce said: "Unfortunately, everything this week progressed to a certain level and has fallen on stony ground and I haven't been able to pursue something to the full conclusion of actually bringing him in for a medical to try to finish off a transfer.

"It has been an incredibly frustrating two weeks. It takes up a vast amount of my time because it is the most important thing for me to strengthen the squad we have at the moment, and particularly the defensive area.

"I'm building a very good backroom staff now and it's increasing by the week.

"I can delegate to them to carry on with the players the huge amount of training and conditioning they need to get ready for the start of the season, and be with them when I can.

"But really the main focus is to strengthen the squad as early as possible, and hopefully by August 11 we will have done that by three or four players."

Allardyce and his players headed for Carlisle on Saturday without injured striker Michael Owen, who has a minor thigh problem, but with Geremi and James Milner included in the squad.

The game could give £2.89million signing Rozehnal another chance to acquaint himself with English football after his debut at Hartlepool in midweek.

The 27-year-old Czech Republic international won honours with both Bruges and Paris St Germain, and is determined to help the Magpies end their 38-year wait for a trophy.

Rozehnal said: "I have already won some trophies with Bruges and Paris St Germain, and that is a nice time for the players and the supporters, and it's the best for the people who work for the team.

"I hope we will do our best and move on this season and try to win something."

Rozehnal has had to get used to different cultures in both Belgium and France since leaving his native country, but has quickly settled into life on Tyneside.

He said: "It should be a little bit easier for us because my wife and I speak English.

"That will help because when we moved to Belgium, they spoke just Flemish, then in France, nobody spoke English, which was a disaster for me.

"My wife learnt French in four months, but for me, it was a little bit of a problem.

"But I feel really good here. We have already found a house and my wife is pregnant and we have already found a doctor and all the important things for living here, so I am really happy."

Taken from =football365=

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home