Saturday, July 14, 2007

BASINGSTOKE KEEPER JOINS CHELSEA

Goalkeeper Stuart Searle has signed a contract with Chelsea from non-league Basingstoke Town, according to the Conference South club.

The 28-year-old was at the Premier League club in a part-time coaching capacity but Basingstoke have announced his departure to provide back-up for Chelsea's reserves as well as carrying on his previous role with the academy.

"Stuart Searle is leaving to take up a full-time contract with Premiership side Chelsea," read a statement from Basingstoke.

Searle has expressed his delight at an opportunity that arose from Yves Makaba-Makalamby joining Hibernian in Scotland.

"I'll be signing as back-up goalkeeper for the reserve team," he said on BBC Berkshire. "They only have one goalkeeper and needed a second one. My name was put forward and it turned out quite nicely for me.

"It all happened very quickly so I didn't have a great deal of time to get excited about it. I was a little bit shell-shocked though."

Makaba-Makalamby made it on to the bench last season following freak injuries to Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini, and although Searle is not expecting much contact with the first team, he hopes there may get a chance to train with them on occasions.

He added: "I am hoping to use the experience I gain from this to improve me both as a player and a coach as I may get the chance to play alongside, and against, some world-class footballers."

Taken from =football365=

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home