Tuesday, August 14, 2007

ROONEY REPLACEMENTS LINE UP

Wayne Rooney will be absent when England face Israel and Russia next month in crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers - and some of those strikers hoping to replace him in Steve McClaren's thoughts have wasted no time in staking their claims.

With just one match - a friendly against Germany on August 22 - before meeting Israel on September 8, the England coach has little chance to experiment.

Michael Owen is hoping to be fit for selection after making his long-awaited return from injury in Newcastle's reserves on Monday but, with Liverpool's Peter Crouch suspended for the Israel clash, there is the chance for another striker to put themselves forward for a leading role in qualification.

West Ham's Dean Ashton has yet to play for England, after injury forced him out just days after his first call-up last summer, but he believes he is ready to make an impact after a year on the sidelines.

Ashton told the Daily Mirror: "One of my targets is to get back to get back where I was in the England squad and making a start for my country is a massive dream of mine, especially after the year I have had.

"I want to be the main striker for England. That's my goal. The plan is to play well for West Ham, score goals and put it into Steve McClaren's mind that I'm there and hopefully playing well enough to give him a hard decision.

"There's no big striker (in the England set-up) who can hold the ball up, run in behind and link up play. That's where I'd like to think I could do a job for England."

David Nugent, who tapped the ball home from point-blank range to grab a debut goal in his only previous match against Andorra, is also in the frame.

The 22-year-old made a £6million move from Coca-Cola Championship side Preston to Portsmouth in the summer and is hoping his top-flight experience can earn him the nod.

Nugent, who faces Rooney's Manchester United team-mates at Fratton Park on Wednesday night, told The Sun: "I've been in the England squad before and I want to be there again.

"If I can score a few, I'm sure I'll get another chance. Manchester United is not a bad game to make your home debut in. If selected I'm looking forward to testing myself against the best.

"It will be a great chance to catch the eye."

Everton manager David Moyes, meanwhile, has been pressing the claims of Toffees striker Andrew Johnson.

Johnson has yet to find the net in seven appearances, but has spent plenty of his time in an England shirt playing out wide.

Moyes said: "If Andy gets called up this week it might be a real chance for him.

"His game has improved a lot in the 12 months he has been with us. Andy works very hard for the team with his awareness and involvement in build-ups.

"But he has to assert himself more. If I'd scored as many Premier League goals as he has, I'd be walking around with my chest out."

There is sure to be fierce competition for places with Crouch coming back into contention for the Russia match and Tottenham pair Jermain Defoe and Darren Bent still harbouring their own hopes of selection.

For McClaren, though, it could be the fitness of Owen that provides the biggest boost.

Owen played for 58 minutes in Newcastle reserves' friendly against Newcastle Blue Star and said: "I feel fine, it was only a small injury, a niggle.

"It had me out for a couple of weeks but I've trained for the last four or five days and I was confident I'd be fine."

Taken from =football365=

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home