Thursday, July 12, 2007

BABEL TO SIGN FOR LIVERPOOL


Liverpool have confirmed that Ryan Babel will sign a five-year contract at Anfield on Friday

Ajax claimed earlier on Thursday that he had signed, although Liverpool confirmed that the Dutch international will complete his move on Friday.

A statement on the Ajax website, www.ajax.nl read: "The attacker (Babel), who had a contract at Ajax up to July 1 2010, has signed an agreement for five years."

Babel, 20, starred for Holland in their recent European Under-21 Championship success on home soil.

Reds chief executive Rick Parry confirmed on Wednesday they had been given permission to talk to the player by Ajax, who was included in Holland's senior squad for the 2006 World Cup and said they hoped to reach agreement with the Amsterdam side "very shortly".

Babel, who briefly returned to Holland to say his farewells, admitted leaving Ajax was a wrench but he was excited about a move to Anfield.

"I am very happy with it," he said of the transfer.

"I am now only at Ajax to say goodbye to everyone, and I must say that's quite difficult.

"I think I will miss the fans, the ones that have always supported me, the guys (Ajax team-mates) of course and the coach.

"I certainly leave Ajax with pain in my heart. I will come to Amsterdam quite often, and then I will come to visit the club."

Babel revealed he took little persuading to make the move to Anfield.

"I listened to what they had to say and I got a great feeling about the club," he told Ajax TV.

"I have made a choice with my heart. The coach (Benitez) has big plans for me."

Taken From = footBall365=

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home